Dr D Y Patil Hospital has a “round-the-clock” laboratory testing facility catering to both outpatient as well as patients admitted in the hospital with an extremely comprehensive menu of investigations to choose from which includes routine and specialised investigations.
The Department of Laboratory Medicine is equipped with the latest state-of-the-art analyzers, which are fully integrated with the laboratory information system providing for online patient results. The department boasts of consistent and quality results through stringent quality control measures and participation in external proficiency testing programmes.
- The laboratory provides holistic services in the form of Clinical Pathology, Microbiology, Histopathology, Biochemistry, Haematology and Serology.
- 24-hour operation provides for the any test, any time approach to the patient management.
- Automated state-of-art equipments: The department is well equipped with fully automated systems and is in keeping with the progressive outlook of the hospital. This machinery has helped to maintain minimal downtime error.
- Integrated Laboratory Information System: The system is integrated with the LIS and HIS providing for minimal human handling and improving the operational efficiency and productivity. In addition, the informatics provide for the inbuilt delta-checks in the system. The system integration also provides for the capability of online reporting.
- Bar-code (positive) identification system: The system improves the efficiency of the process flow and minimises any random errors.
- Bi-directional interface of analyzers: This ensures error-free reporting and improves the turnaround time by obviating manual entry.
- Web-report viewing: The system facilitates the patients to view their result using the internet at their base. This result viewing is password protected.
- Quality Assurance programmes: The laboratory conducts stringent quality assurance programmes using internal quality controls as well as robust quality measures in place. The department is participant to various proficiency testing programmes and thus helping in validating its quality process.
- Qualified and well-trained team of pathologists and technologists is the cornerstone of the laboratory services.
The haematology section of the laboratory is very well equipped with state-of-the-the-art automated instruments. Even routine blood counts are performed on highly sophisticated automated cell counters which provide numerous parameters on every singlesample. An exhaustive test menu for the detection of bleeding disorders as well as all kinds of hypercoagulability disorders (e.g.thrombophilia) is offered.
Quality control procedures are an important daily activity. The laboratory strives to combine the best of highly specialized doctors, skilled technicians and automation, to provide the best for the patient, in terms of accurate and precise results, within a reasonable timeframe.
HISTOPATHOLOGY AND CYTOLOGY
The section offers services for processing of clinical specimens for histopathology as well as reporting of fluids, smears and fine needle aspirations. In addition, ‘frozen section’ service is provided for urgent diagnosis of surgical cases.
All surgical specimens are processed by standard histological technique and reported with diagnosis, grading and staging of tumours according to international guidelines. The section also handles both gynaecological and non-gynaecological specimens sent for cytology. The gynaecological ‘PAP smears’ is examined for early detection of cervix cancer. Fine needle Aspiration Cytology (FNAC) is also carried out for all palpable swellings in the body as the first line of investigative workup before a surgical biopsy.
The Biochemistry section is equipped with the latest dry chemistry technology from the Ortho-Clinical Diagnostic (Johnson & Johnson). The Vitros 250 and Vitros SS analyzers are equipped with primary tube sampling with sample identification via bar code scanner system. The analyzers are capable of handling 700 tests per hour.
The GEM Premier 3000, is a compact, multiparametric and automated blood gas analyzer measuring blood gases, blood pH, electrolytes and lactate.
Microbiology section of the laboratory provides state-of-art services for diagnosis of infectious diseases – bacterial, mycobacteria, and fungal, parasitic and viral infections. In addition to conventional techniques, the lab is well equipped with automated systems that perform blood culture and mycobacterium culture. Bacterial identification and antimicrobial susceptibility are also performed by automated system reducing the turn around time of reporting.
Serological investigations to determine the antibody/antigens of HIV, HBV, HCV, Dengue, Leptospira, and Cryptococcus etc. are performed besides routine tests like Widal, RA, ASO etc.
The department also provides relevant data in monitoring healthcare associated infections. Constant surveillance is done on Infection control practices in the entire hospital in order to control the infection rate as well as prevent outbreaks.
- Dr. K. S. Yadav
- Dr. Sudamani Rao
- Dr. Narayan Kamat